Safe to Eat Portal
Fish and shellfish are nutritious and good for you to eat. But some fish and shellfish may take in toxic chemicals from the water they live in and the food they eat. Some of these chemicals build up in the fish and shellfish - and in the humans that eat fish and shellfish - over time. Although the chemical levels are usually low, it is a good idea to learn about advisories and monitoring in water bodies where you fish, and for fish or shellfish you eat.
The Safe To Eat Portal provides information to answer the following questions:
- Is it safe to eat fish from our waters?
- Where can I find more information on the OEHHA California Fish Advisories?
- What are the fish contaminant data for your favorite fishing locations?
- Which waters are listed as impaired for fish consumption?
- What is being done to reduce these problems?
Information from the portal was used to develop a Clean Lakes Data Storymap and a customized interactive map for the Ocean and Estuarine Systems data story in the 2018 Water Quality Status Report.
Programs and Focus Areas:
Clean Water Program
Environmental Informatics Program