Oct 29, 2013
This year, the Regional Monitoring Program (RMP) partnered with the San Francisco Estuary Partnership (SFEP) to host the RMP Annual Meeting in conjunction with the State of the Estuary Conference. The conference was held at the Oakland Marriott in downtown Oakland on October 29th and 30th. The program can be downloaded here
Every two years the SFEP hosts the State of the Estuary Conference to highlight the latest information about the Estuary. The conference focuses on current management actions and the ecological health of the region. The RMP Annual Meeting was embedded in the second day of the conference and the topics included Emerging Contaminants and Nutrients. The theme for the two-day meeting was “20/20 Visions – Past Reflections, Future Directions.” The theme celebrated the 20th year of the Regional Monitoring Program and the 20th year anniversary of the San Francisco Estuary Partnership’s Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan.
For the RMP day, we had an exciting line-up of keynote speakers including:
- Debbie Raphael – Director of the Department of Toxic Substances Control
- Dr. Derek Muir - Senior Research Scientist at Environment Canada
- Dr. Jim Cloern – Senior Research Scientist at United States Geological Survey
In addition to the key note speakers, we had talks on the following topics:
- Managing Contaminants of Emerging Concern in the Bay
- Flame Retardants: Effects of Flammability Standards and Bans
- Perfluorinated Compounds in San Francisco Seals and Birds
- Pharmaceuticals: A Cradle to Cradle Approach
- Nutrients in San Francisco Bay: Science to Inform Policy
- Counting Calories in the Bay: What is the Recommended Daily Allowance for Nutrients?
- Managing Nutrients in California
If you have questions about the RMP Annual Meeting, please feel free to contact Meg Sedlak (Meg(@)sfei.org) or Ellen Willis-Norton (Ellenwn(@)sfei.org).
Programs and Focus Areas:
Clean Water Program