SFEI is committed to building a more equitable and just future for all. Central to this pursuit are our partnerships with communities and Tribes experiencing injustices. We apply our technical strengths to more clearly uncover, understand, and communicate environmental injustices; support the development of holistic solutions; and facilitate equitable access to key decision-making conversations, opportunities, and resources. We believe in breathing diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) into every facet of our organization, from our everyday operations and culture to the process, products, and outcomes of our work.
What Motivates Us
Systems of oppression have disproportionately exposed underserved, historically marginalized communities of color to air pollution, toxic contaminants, flooding, and heat stress, which often combine to the further detriment of those communities.
We also acknowledge that Tribes and other underserved communities have been historically excluded from the very decision-making processes, such as land use, zoning, and regulation, that have enabled unjust exposure to hazardous and toxic environmental and human health conditions.
The World We Want to See
SFEI believes in and works to support the self-determination of impacted communities and Tribes, and everyone’s right to share equally in the benefits of a healthy environment and access to nature.
Pillars Guiding DEIJ at SFEI
Realizing change in the world starts with living our values. The following goals outline our commitments to weaving diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice into the fabric of our organization.
- DEIJ is fundamentally embedded in the implementation of SFEI’s mission.
- We work with partners, communities, Tribes, advisors, organizations, and agencies that are representative of the diversity in our state.
- SFEI strives to recruit and retain board and staff members that reflect the multiple dimensions of diversity within our state.
- SFEI works to foster an inclusive workplace, where differences of identity, experience, background, and thought are valued.
- Board and staff members are encouraged and supported to continually expand their knowledge and skills to advance SFEI’s vision for a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and just future.
Are you interested in joining our growing workforce?
We understand that our world is changing, and that our sector is in need of change too. While we do not claim perfection, we are committed to progress. If you would like to join us in this journey, we encourage you to apply.