SFEI Job Announcement
Title: Senior Accountant
Requisition No: OPS 20-2
About the Position
The San Francisco Estuary Institute (SFEI) is seeking a new member of the Operations Team. Our Operations Team is the core of the organization and includes facility and office management, contracts management, and accounting services. We are looking for a Senior Accountant to oversee and perform day to day accounting activities including payroll (via ADP), accounts receivable, accounts payable, accounts reconciliation, expense tracking, maintaining accounting software and systems, and filing federal and state tax documentation. The successful candidate will have excellent attention to detail, a strong skill set in managing accounting software and spreadsheets, and experience managing accounting processes and improving accounting systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other related field and at least 10 years experience working in accounting
- Expertise with full cycle accounting principles, processes, and practices
- Expertise in working with integrated accounting software (e.g. Deltek Vision)
- Experience working with complex spreadsheets (Google or Excel)
- Experience with payroll (ADP Workforce Now)
- Familiarity with non-profit accounting including contributed revenue
- A strong attention to detail
- A customer service approach
- Ability to problem solve detailed tasks
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask in a high volume environment
- A team player who is interested in the Institute’s mission of delivering visionary science to empower people to revitalize nature in our communities.
Typical duties, under supervision of the Business Director, will include:
- Perform and manage day to day accounting activities for an $11M organization
- Perform journal entries for cash receipts, invoices, and other financial and accounting transactions
- Manage monthly Balance Sheet and Income Statements, ensuring the books are balanced each month
- Serve as primary contact to external auditor for annual audit and Single Audit (federal funds)
- Monitor and implement best accounting practices
- Work with the Business Director and Finance Director to maintain the organization’s financial health
- Other accounting tasks as needed.
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this position is up to $85,000 (dependent on years of experience). Benefits include medical and dental coverage, 403b plan, vacation, 11 paid holidays, life insurance, long term disability insurance, and vision coverage.
SFEI Mission: We deliver visionary science that empowers people to revitalize nature in our communities.
San Francisco Estuary Institute (SFEI) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which has a 27-year track record of serving local, state, and federal agencies by developing and translating science to measurably improve the health and resiliency of Bay-Delta ecosystems. SFEI is a boundary organization at the interface between science and policy, recognized nationally for our ability to build consensus to support effective environmental decision-making and policy. SFEI has over 70 staff who represent numerous scientific and technological fields as well as our Operations unit.
SFEI is committed to building a culturally rich organization, and we strongly encourage applications from a diversity of backgrounds.
San Francisco Estuary Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity, and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, including sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, physical or mental disability, family or parental status, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact Linda Russio at 510-746-7355 or [email protected].
Please note that SFEI cannot sponsor an employment visa (e.g., H-1B) to fill this position.
Do not use any third-party web sites to apply for the position. No phone calls please.